Sunday, February 5, 2012

Dishwater University

I do not have a dishwasher.  I have nine people in my family.  In the division of labor around here, I am the designated dishwasher.  This means I spend a lot of time standing at my kitchen sink.  It is boring.  I have decided to make the best of this tedious task, so I've started something I like to call  "Dishwater University".  I set up my computer next to where I'm working, plug in a set of speakers, and play audio or video messages that I find educational.  My recent favorites have been Passion for Truth Ministries and the Mises Institute, which I've placed links to there on the right side of the page.

Today's class was an audio book from the Mises Institute called "Our Enemy The State" by Albert Jay Nock.  I was so enthralled with this book that I kept having to grab my pencil and post-it note pad with my drippy hands to write something down.  By the time I was done with the dishes, there were green post-its covered with notes stuck all over everything!  Wow, I am a nerd.

A couple of quotes from the book description on the Mises site:

"What does one need to know about politics? In some ways, Nock has summed it all up in this astonishing book, the influence of which has grown every year since its publication."


"It is the ultimate handbook of the political dissident. If you aren't one yet, you may find that Nock is a very persuasive recruiter into his informed army that makes up the remnant who know."


The gist of the book is a contrast between social power (the power of society to order itself) and state power.  I've only listened to Parts 1 and 2 so far, but if you want to get your brain itching (Thank you Tim, if you're reading this, for coining the phrase), I highly recommend this book!  I have been studying the topics of government and political philosophy and how it all relates to the Bible (so much to learn), and this is giving me much food for thought.  I'm working on a blog post about this, but that may take a bit longer.

I'm sure I'll have more to share from the Dishwater University class schedule in the future!

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to learning more from Dishwater University! And thanks for the link. It sounds like a great topic. I will give it a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After realizing that I could use more brain stimulation than rock music provided while working, I, too found nerdy podcasts interesting.
    I love the Dan Ariely social science ones a lot.

    That sounds like a really good book, seems like it wraps a lot of things. It's interesting when they all come together. I'll have to look at it.

    PS
    I see where Emma gets this from ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed that "Our Enemy, the State" is on Mises in pdf too. So much great stuff there for free!

    Jillian, I'll have to check out that site. Maybe I'll add it to the course listings!

    PS
    Maybe I get it from her! :)

    ReplyDelete