Monday, February 6, 2012

Something Else to Make Your Brain Itch

I've been spending a lot of time lately studying and reevaluating my beliefs about government.  I'm sure I'll be writing more about that, but tonight I'm having trouble sleeping and I was reminded of something I hadn't thought about in a while, so I thought I'd share it.  It was a question that kind of rocked my world early on in my journey.

The question has to do with the American Revolution.  Now we all know that this was a war fought to throw off tyranny and injustice, and that after the colonists' victory, they wrote a constitution and became a new nation.  The question that was posed to me was this:  After they won the war and achieved independence from a tyrannical government, why didn't they just go home to their colonies and live as free men?

But, wait a minute!  I'm a Patriotic American Christian!  Are you suggesting that they could've just skipped the Constitutional Convention altogether?  No president?  No congress?  No supreme court?  Blasphemy!  Or maybe not...oh, quit asking me such hard questions!  (This is me inside my own head.)

And another related question I've more recently been asking myself:  When it's time to vote for the next president, should I just write in "No, thank you."?

5 comments:

  1. Great questions! I'll have to reply later tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 1st question - 'why didn't the colonies remain separate' isn't an easy question. But the founding fathers, particularly Jefferson, had the wisdom to understand that the best government, if there *had* to be one, was localized and accountable to the governed. Thomas DiLorenzo described it very clearly here - http://mises.org/daily/5883/Freedom-and-Federalism. The States' rights to declare independence from the Union was the much needed balance of power to keep the Federal government in line. Sadly, that right has disappeared. What's worse is that people today think it's insanity to suggest States' rights should preempt the Fed and not vice versa.

    As to your 2nd question - 'what to do in the next election' - I've been thinking about that as well. I've never been a 3rd party voter, because I've always settled and voted for the lessor of 2 evils. But I'm at a point now where I'm not sure I can vote for Mitt or Newt in good conscience. And I certainly won't vote for Obama. I am debating writing in a candidate in November at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way I see it now, the monopoly on power is the problem with the state. Once you no longer have the ability to "opt out", the end result is always tyranny. As long as there is no gun to your head and you are free to remove yourself from the system without the threat of force, you still have liberty.

    I thought the quote from General Lee in that article was interesting and prophetic: "the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it." Have you seen the DiLorenzo video "Why the Constitution Had to Be Destroyed"? (http://mises.org/media/6838/Why-the-Constitution-Had-to-Be-Destroyed). It's one of my favorites.

    My husband and I wrestled with the "lesser-of-two-evils" issue in the last election. That was the point where we became third party voters, although friends accused us of helping to elect Obama. I figured the judgment of God was going to be the result no matter which guy we chose, and I didn't want to be guilty of voting for it! A scripture that was helpful was Romans 3:8. We can't just "hold our noses" and vote because that would be doing evil in an attempt to bring about good.

    My opinion at this point, conspiracy theorist that I am, is that the powers-that-be choose the candidates for us, so any real choice is an illusion. We will probably write in Ron Paul or not vote at all. I do believe Ron Paul's message is having an influence, but that is something that takes time. I'd love to see him run on a third-party ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonder if RP will consider a 3rd party run now. He's said in the past that he wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote a post today that was inspired by these comments and an article I read. Going to post it now!

      Delete