Monday, March 5, 2012

Northwoods Recipe: Venison Stew


This is what we're having for dinner tonight.  It's a family favorite, and I like it because it's easy, it's cheap (if you're a hunter, anyway), and it makes a lot!  It's the perfect northwoodsy winter meal for those of us who are buried in snow.  I'll give the amounts I use just for fun, but you can cut it in half if you need less.

Ingredients:
1/4c. (4 tbs.) olive oil
4 lbs. venison or other stew meat
4 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4c. (4 tbs.) worchestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. oregano
2 tbs. salt
pepper to taste
6c. water
10 c. potatoes (peeled and cubed)
2 lbs. carrots
1/2c. flour (plus approx. equal amount of water)

Deeply brown meat in oil.  Add onions, garlic, worchestershire sauce, bay leaves, oregano, salt, pepper, and water.  Simmer, covered for 1 1/2-2 hours or until meat is tender.  Add potatoes and carrots;  cook until tender.  Combine flour with a little water;  stir in to thicken.  Remove bay leaves and serve.

While I was preparing this, I threw some bones from the venison into a big pot on the back of the stove, added some onions, garlic, and salt, and left it to simmer overnight.  I'll keep this on for about 24 hrs. or so until it makes a rich broth that will be the base for a big pot of soup later this week.  I'll try to post that recipe later!


No comments:

Post a Comment