Thursday, May 24, 2012

Jury Duty, and Ron Paul in a Motorhome


Guess what?  I got a summons for jury duty!  Awesome, right?  Well, if you read my little blog or look at the links I post, you already know I'm not a big fan of the state.  Jury duty should be an interesting experience.  While I was searching around for some helpful info on the anti-statist take on jury duty, I stumbled across this great interview with Ron Paul from 2009.  I think this one's my all-time favorite, and you gotta love the motorhome!  It's only marginally related to jury duty, but interesting nonetheless.

So what to do about jury duty?  The easiest thing would be to get out of it altogether, so I called to let them know I'm a mother at home with young children and I have no child care available.  I do have teenagers who babysit occasionally, but I'm not really interested in drafting them into providing free babysitting services for the state.  They have better things to do.  I'm told it's pretty tough to get out of jury duty, though.  Hopefully if I have to go, once I share my views on government they'll send me on my way so I won't have to be put into an awkward situation.  I don't think I could give a guilty verdict and send someone to jail for a "crime" where there is no victim, such as a drug charge.  I don't believe a crime against "society" is a crime at all, even if it involves behavior that is wrong or just plain stupid.  If that sounds like an unusual idea to you, it might be helpful to read a two-part blog post my daughter wrote about crime:  http://writingsofateenageanarchist.blogspot.com/search/label/Crime.  So what are your thoughts about jury duty?  Any advice?     

 

2 comments:

  1. Tanya, I served on jury duty a couple of times in my life, once on a murder trial, once for a grand jury. The third time I was called I had become convicted of passing judgement about people. I don't know if I was correct in my thoughts at the time and I have wondered since.

    When they were just getting started selecting the jurors the judge asked if there was anybody who had some objection to serving on a jury and if they did to approach the bench. I was the first to reach the bench and I explained my objection on religious grounds and the judge question me for a few minutes then dismissed me from duty. I turned around and saw a line behind me that went clear out of the courtroom. I was glad that I was the first in line. I don't know if this religious objection works everywhere or every time but I believe that if you explain that you couldn't find a person guilty and the fact that you have no one to turn to to take care of your tribe that they would let you out of jury duty. You won't know until you try. Be well and prosper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katrael, thanks for commenting and for the advice! I'm sorry it took so long to reply--life has been hectic at my house. I did get to read your comment before serving on jury duty. They let me serve just one day, and I was dismissed when I shared my perspective on government. It was kind of a bizarre and amusing story though, so I will try to write a post to update soon!

      Delete